Monday, October 3, 2011

Synthesizing



I went to the pleating studio this morning to watch my materials being pleated and order a few more pieces. Each mold has two pieces that fit into each other. One side of mold is pulled flat and secured to a table with clamps. Material is then cut to the same dimensions and ironed flat. The second half of the mold is layed on top, sandwiching the fabric. Weights are placed on the material and the claps released. Then the mold, is carfully brought to its pleated state, contracting with the fabric held in between. The smaller molds are then ironed for about 5 minutes on both sides and then weighted again and meant to rest under the weight for a day. The larger pieces are placed in a heated enclosed chamber. The pictures should help to explain.











A few flea market and fabric store finds:



I have also been working on another artists statement. I have written so many, but as my work and process develops, I feel closer and closer to a truer written counterpart to the work.

 I want to dress the memory of the body. By removing wearability and utility, my work operates as a memorium or sactification of desire and youth. I am interested in the history of exposure. Exposure to the point of disappearance. What remains is cloth visually operating as both garment and skeleton. The remnant of physical body is sanitized, and integrated to the point of colaesion with the exterior. My work explores a body re-contoured and distorted quantifiably through the use of architecture, origami, grids and most specifically, pleating. Pleating is the structure of this new body: orderly, flat, complex, and skeletal but no longer a ridged framework of bone and muscle. There does remain a place holder for the physical breathing body: space. A deliberate void, waiting for the 'imperfections' of a real body to be reitegrated preformatively by the viewer.


Considerations:

1. Fashion as the stage for conceptual art. Feature in a couture display window.

2. visibility verses surface area. This is of great interest, especially that I have now seeing how pleating is done.

 3. "The purist memory is the one un-recalled." I love this.  In recollection, there is a distortion of past realities. Errors of remembering. In reference to my creative action and methods of viewing, this is concious.








7 comments:

  1. Hi there, this is great, if I may ask what studio is this in Paris?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome. I always wondered how this was done. I like the fact that it is not mass produced and just a piece at a time. True craftsmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Très intéressant! j'aimerais bien vous visiter...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work!

    You can also add perfect pleats to fabric, fast and easy, with the
    Mr. Pleater Board. Over 80 different sizes, custom sizes too.
    To view them, go to:

    www.mrpleater.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. can u tell me what paper are you using and how gave steam them clearly pls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazed ✨ really inspired by this post. Thanks for this passionate point of view

    ReplyDelete